3 Educational Animation Examples for Online Courses
There are various types of animations. We got 2D animations, 3D animations, motion-graphic animations, traditional hand-drawn animations, stop-motion animations and more. Regarding their function for educational purposes, there are 3 types of animations in eLearning:
- “Information” animations: This type of videos play as a visual-supporting tool for online courses. They focus on visualizing a learning concept that is often difficult for instructors to teach, and for learners to consume. They bring most values to complicated subjects like science, where there are various concepts need visualizing.
- Narration animations: Animations use storytelling to narrate learners in a visually beautiful and engaging way. This type of animations is common in K12 education or soft skill training for corporate educators.
- Explanatory animations: A mix of two above types. Explanatory animations use their powerful storytelling ability to explain a complicated concept. This is one of the most complicated types. Both the educator and animation producer need to work closely together to create engaging and yet informative videos for educational purposes.
3 Best Examples of educational animation in eLearning
1. Permaculture Design Online Course
Permaculture Design is a 12-week program specializing in the practical solutions to develop the abundant and sustainable ecosystems. The course follows the MOOC concept, where most of the teaching materials are in video form. The instructor hence used the talking-head type of video to deliver the knowledge to his online students. The animations are adopted in the problems with their amazing visualization ability to explain difficult concepts of permaculture.
As you can see in the video example, the animations play more as a visual-supporting tool for his lesson than a narration video. They contain little plot, hardly any stories. The main purpose of the animated videos here is the convert the book illustrations to beautiful animations. The illustrations, on the other hand, could serve the same purpose of visualizing abstract and complicated concepts to students. But they lack the ability of quickly describing a concept and making learning a more enjoyable experience.
Maybe you are interested in:
2. Aviassist Drone Training Course
Aviassist conducts regular RPAS drone training and manned aviation theory courses. The animations in this program play almost the same role as Permaculture’s. They are both visual aids to explain complicated concepts in training. The difference is Aviassist consists of more storytelling in the videos to narrate the mechanical knowledge while Permaculture’s animations are plain explainers.
This example shows the ability of animations to illustrate the sophisticated system of machines in a new engaging way. Storytelling is the best feature animations could give to eLearning. There we have characters, which are designed to be much relatable to learners, and an engaging story to lead learners to the learning objectives.
3. Math animations from Bar Model Company
Bar Model Company uses visual to teach math to children in primary schools, secondary schools, and educational organizations over England. Basically, they illustrate the problems with bars to help young learners apply their math skills in problem-solving scenarios. The animations give the juniors a clear digital version of the bars and a more eye-catching, fascinating, entertaining experiences with their favorite characters.
Apart from its educational purpose of helping children visually learn math in an effective way, the video example presents another beneficial fact about animations. They are engaging and motivating. The characters are thoughtfully designed to be appealing to the juniors. They could immediately grab their attention, as any series on Cartoon Network do, then engage children more in the learning process.
Subscribe to F.Learning Blog
Sign up to our newsletter. Don't worry, we won't send you spam, just updates of our blog monthly.
Medical education and animation - here are two topics that many will find equally mysterious. Medical knowledge itself is quite complicated, and the process of animation, though it is still unknown to you, can make explaining it so much easier. Combining these...
Hiring small animation studios is the optimal options for businesses, especially small companies or start-ups who want to try animation for the first time. Indeed, small studio not only could give an affordable price but also provide satisfactory service to produce...
Animation is now widely used in classes not only because of its effectiveness in teaching. In addition to that is how easy it is to make educational videos free. Yet for a someone who wants to start making educational videos for free, the process of looking for...