4 Tips to Get Students Attention in Online Learning
In a traditional classroom, there are various methods to get students attention. Teachers could say something unexpected to catch students off guard or even raise their voice for respect. However, this is not the case in eLearning. Attracting students’ attention in online learning is a challenge. There is no direct affection, connection or communication, not to mentions lecturer are unable to keep track of students’ concentration. Moreover, students have difficulties in managing their self-studying time also.
However, there is one solution that is effective in both traditional and online classes. It is to improve the teaching content and materials, to make it engaging and attention rewarding.
Include quick quizzes
A quiz is not necessary to be as hard and challenging as an exam. A quiz could be a more interesting way to summarize the lessons rather than long and theoretical text. Quizzes encourage people to think and retain more information. Moreover, solving the problems by themselves could make students feel rewarded and motivated. It depends on the learning objectives of the course and the students that the quizzes should be easy or more challenging. The question is how to make quiz fun?
- Gamify the quizzes: Lots of LMS nowadays provide educators with more interactive quizzes. A simple one such as drag-and-drop quiz could make a difference.
- Include images or videos: Visualizing the question by images or videos not only enhances learner’s experiences but also gives them clearer views of the subject.
The best way to get students attention is to answer their question “Why do I learn this?” Showing examples that are relevant to real-life problems not only gives student clearer learning objectives and expectation but also emphasizes the importance of learning in their lives. When they feel the course helpful and relatable, they will be more engaged and focused. Some type of real-life examples you could include in your courses:
- Inspiring story from successful people
- Personal story of lecturers
- Footage of how things work
Moreover, stories are better to remember and understand than documents. People are more likely to listen and take attention to real-life stories.
Important points focus
Emphasizing on important points of the lessons helps learn focus better and improves the learning outcomes also. In fact, the average attention span online is just 8 seconds. It’d be better to design a course with short, simple and concise content than a long detailed 90-minute long one.
- Cut down irrelevant parts: Less is more. Conveying too much information in a single lesson doesn’t improve the learning outcomes. Learners don’t have time to consume all those details anyway. Make it simple and easy to follow, you could always attach additional documents for their interest later.
- Clear outline: Use headings, subheadings, and lists. This easily emphasizes the main points of each topic and breaks down the content to smaller one.
Show an engaging video
A fun break with a short video is the best way to get students attention. A video, in whatever type it is, live-action or animation, is surely more interesting than a full-of-text presentation. With lively sounds, images, and colors, videos could approach students in a new and engaging way. The video is not only fun, but also informative and academic for better learning outcomes. There are 3 mains video types you could include in your course:
- Live-action: An example or inspiring story presents the application of the subject in real-life. This enhances students interest and motivation in the lesson, therefore, emphasizes the importance of the subject on themselves.
- Animated learning video: Animation could easily explain and simplifies all aspects of life in a fun way. Learning should be fun. By giving students humorous lessons with animation, attention comes naturally.
- Self-record: a cheap and effective way to presents the lesson. This also improves the connection between lecturer and students. However, a student could get bored if watching a teacher on screen for a too long time.
The key point of these tips to get students attention is enhancing their experiences: engage them multi-media and help them to understand the subject short and concise. Combining those tips, you will have better course content as well as professional look.
Animation has been adopted as an effective method of teaching science. In eLearning, science animation’s best use is to simplify abstract scientific phenomenon and complicated processes quickly and beautifully. A large number of educators appreciate science animated...
The script is the soul of a video, especially in case of eLearning. It’s believed that a strong script can fight the difficulty and the boredom of courses’ content. Writing a normal script is easy as a piece of cake for educators or instructors. However,...
Have you ever thought that animation could be created for training goals? Did you know animation has been optimized widely in corporate training? There are numerous applications of animation as orientation training, technical training, safety training, etc. However,...