Animation Making in Education: Should you do it yourself, or should you hire the professionals?
Now that you have come to the realization that adopting animation into e-Learning will bring enormous benefits to your online courses, let’s discuss
The first thing you would want to do is to explore all the options you could get a hand on, do some research on what the market has to offer.
When it comes to animation making, the chances are high that
A. Get some animation software and learn to do it yourself
B. Go on Fiverr and try to find a decent freelance animator
or C. Hire a professional animation studio to handle completely all the hard work
Needless to say, each of these options has their advantages and disadvantages. This article will give you a quick peek into each one of them, analyzing their positions and help you avoid any terrible mistake you are likely going to make.
Option A: Animation software
We are living in a world of technology and invention, and even if you are an amateur who has hardly had any experience with animation before, there are still various easy-to-operate and easy-to-use tools out there to help you overcome your problems.
- Low cost: You only need to pay a small amount of money to get the tools, they often come with a pricing plan allowing you to pay per month or year and you can create an unlimited number of animation videos within that period of time
- Easy to use: Highly modifiable and adjustable, the tools are optimized for all kind of users; plus, you can find many step-by-step guides to use each software on the Internet
- Built-in resources: Most of them offer a wide range of templates with pre-designed assets like characters, illustrations and more
- Brand identity damaged: You have to use pre-made templates to create animation, which will eventually hurt your brand since every other business can use the same elements (characters, voiceovers, and audio tracks) as you do
- Lack of versatility and diversity: though many, the number of pre-designed templates are not infinite and could impose limitations on your teaching content
You should use animation software if:
- You only use animation for
betterdemonstration in teaching, not a complete animation-based course
- You don’t have a huge budget
- You don’t aim at building brand name
- You can settle for average animation quality
Here are some best animation software we suggest you take a look at
If you want to create animation yourself, you would not want to miss this series
Option B: Freelance animator
Not feeling like doing it? Hand it over to other people.
There are tons of freelancers that are willing to do the work for just $5-10 per one minute of animation, just take a walk around Fiverr or any freelance website and you can easily find them.
Nonetheless, there will be a lot of things to take into consideration in the selection process since everyone can easily fake their CV/portfolio on the Internet.
- Affordable: Although it costs a little more than downloading animation software, this is still a budget-friendly choice. The prices vary greatly among different freelancers so you have a lot of options to choose from
- Animation quality guaranteed (sort of): A freelance animator with experiences is definitely capable of creating better animation compared with which from an amateur
- Time-saving: No need to spend time reading the instructions and figuring out the way to deal with animation software anymore
- If your freelancers use the mentioned above software, animation produced by these people can hardly help you create a unique feature and support branding
- Management problem: Freelancer is supposed to be great at one thing, therefore, you will likely have to hire different people at different time zones, each handles one part of the project (e.g: storyboard artist, illustrator, animator, voice-over artist and so on) in order to yield a perfect product
- Lack of commitment: The word “freelance” itself somewhat shows this, you definitely can not expect much from freelancers when it comes to deliverables
You should opt for freelancers if:
- You don’t want to or find it difficult to do the animation yourself
- You want to go for some budget-friendly options
- You don’t aim at building brand name
- You don’t plan to have a long-term animation project
|Animation making on a budget? This article could be helpful:|
Option C: Animation studios
Need to step up your eLearning game and produce more authentic materials? This is the option you ought to pay attention to.
High qualityproduct: Animation studios are full of professionals and they know what they are doing
- Originality: Different from premade templates, animation produced by animation companies are original and created from scratch, they own rights over merchandising and creative rights – which can be transferred to you – their clients
- Unique brand image: Originality means you can achieve a certain look, a distinctive image
andposition on the market, which strengthens your brand name
- Full-package service: Not just making animation on your demand, they are capable of giving you consultancy on what type of animation would be the best fit for you and other related services
- High cost: Of course such a perfect option could not come at a low price. This is often the most visible pain when considering working with a professional studio.
Come to animation studios if:
- Money is not such a sensitive matter to you
- You define your eLearning course as having “premium quality”
- You feel the need to build up a brand name to expand your business
- You prefer a long-term collaboration for your courses
We have had everything laid out on the table for you.
It is still a tough decision so far isn’t it? Since we always want to have the best products possible but at the same time maintain marginal costs.
Good news is, you can squeeze the best out of your not-so-big budget with some certain low-cost animation studios, like F.Studio. We offer high quality but
To find out why we keep our pricing low, read this article about How much does an educational animation cost per minute? (F
Contact us for free consultation on how to create
Effective Animations for Education
So are you considering adding animated educational videos in your courses? Animations, if done right, could bring great advantages to your online training. They excel in presenting complex or abstract concepts of the subjects. Their visual powers also help educators...
There are various types of animations. We got 2D animations, 3D animations, motion-graphic animations, traditional hand-drawn animations, stop-motion animations and more. Regarding their function for educational purposes, there are 3 types of animations in eLearning:...
Communication is one of the critical factors leading to the success of the work, whether it is the instructional design of your course or the collaboration between you and your partners. Lots of my clients are confusing in how to create appropriate animations for...